Acknowledgments are made to:
- M. V. Angel- Deacon Laboratory - Godalming, U.K.
- Australian Biological Resource Study, Australian Nature
Conservation Agency - Camberra, Australia
- The Zoology Department - University of Queensland,
- The Electron Microscopy Department - University of
Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
- The Heron Island Research Station - Australia
- The Lizard Island Research Station - Australia
- D. Boltovskoy - Museo Argentino de Ciencias Naturales -
Buenos Aires, Argentine
- Brill NV Publishers - Leiden, The Netherlands
- H. E. Coomans - Zoological Museum - Amsterdam, The
- Dutch Malacological Society - Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Zoological Museum - Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- A. W. Janssen - Nationaal Natuurhistorisch Museum - Leiden,
- H. Kobayasi- Ocean Research Institute - Tokyo, Japan
- R. Moolenbeek - Zoological Museum - Amsterdam, The
- Nationaal Natuurhistorisch Museum - Leiden, The
- U. Piatkowski - Institut für Meereskunde- Kiel, Germany
all kindly gave permission to use data, illustrations and text portions for this electronic data base.
This database was made by Dr. S. van der Spoel, curator and Professor at the Institute of Taxonomic Zoology and initiator of the ETI programme (University of Amsterdam); Dr. L. J. Newman, Dept. of Zoology, Univ. of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia; and the late Dr. K. W. Estep at the Expert Centre for Taxonomic Identifications, Amsterdam.
In 1980 the first author got the idea that it should be possible to put the all knowledge of an animal group onto the computer so that searching for data, even by a layman, in all thinkable ways could become possible. It was eight good friends: Annelies Pierrot-Bults, Dick Troost, Peter Schalk, Ken Estep, Ferren MacIntyre, Louis van der Laan, Joke Bleeker and Alex de Fluiter, who assisted in realising this concept, designing it and obtaining the funding to produce the software and the contents. The last 16 years of cooperation are a good souvenir.
The literature used in compiling the program was mainly obtained from the following libraries:
- Library of the Institute of Taxonomic Zoology, University of Amsterdam
- Artis Library, University of Amsterdam
- Library of the Dutch Malacological Society (NMV), Amsterdam.
- Library of the Dutch Entomological Society (NEV), Amsterdam,
- Library of the Teylers Museum, Haarlem.
- Library of the Nationaal Natuurhistorisch Museum, Leiden.
- Private library of S. van der Spoel.